The Casa del Cabildo (House of the Chapter)
(Click photos to enlarge)
At the southern side of the Platerías Square there's a special example of Compostelan baroque. The Casa del Cabildo is a work by Clemente Fernández Sarela and was built between 1754 and 1759. The outstanding peculiarity of this structure is its limited depth of only about 4 meters or 13 feet which can be explained by its purpose, namely to close the splendid square with adequate architecture.
The magnificent facade doesn't raise suspicion that there's little behind it. As the name of the building suggests it initially accommodated the chapter of the cathedral. However, it has been privately owned since the 19th century. Currently (early 2008) the city of Santiago de Compostela is in the course of expropriating the Casa del Cabildo in order to make it a part of the future city museum. The bigger part of the future museum will be held by a neighbouring building to the east which formerly housed a branch of the Bank of Spain.